[ RadSafe ] IAEA DACs

Mccormick, Luke I luke.mccormick at dhs.gov
Thu Feb 9 06:52:58 CST 2006

There is a branch of Safety called Industrial Hygiene which looks out for
chemical hazards of all chamicals, including radioactive ones. Chemical
hazards are regulated under OSHA subpart Z which also incorporates by
reference the NCGIH/NIOSH guides. Go find an IH web site and bother them.

____________________Reply Separator____________________
Subject:    Re: [ RadSafe ] IAEA DACs
Author:     radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl
Date:       2/8/2006 6:22 PM

       Julian Ginniver wrote:

       >... employers in the US are required to comply with the OSHA
       > standards.  If this is the case and reproductive,
       > immuniological and neurotoxicities are address by these then
       > doesn't make sense (to me at least) for the NRC to regulate

       There are no differences between OSHA and NRC exposure limits
       Uranium-238(VI) compounds such as uranyl oxide and uranyl
       for example.  Both allow 0.2 mg/m^3.  The OSHA guidelines don't
       mention the reproductive, developmental, immunological or
       neurotoxicities at all.  United States Code, Title 42, Section
       2114, requires the NRC to "protect the public health and safety
       and the environment from radiological and non-radiological
       of Uranium-238 produced as a byproduct of isotopic refinement.



       James Salsman

       You are currently subscribed to the RadSafe mailing list

       Before posting a message to RadSafe be sure to have read and
       understood the RadSafe rules. These can be found at:

       For information on how to subscribe or unsubscribe and other
       settings visit: http://radlab.nl/radsafe/

More information about the RadSafe mailing list