[ RadSafe ] IAEA DACs

JGinniver at aol.com JGinniver at aol.com
Thu Feb 9 17:35:28 CST 2006

In a message dated 09/02/2006 01:56:45 GMT Standard Time, james at bovik.org
writes:

There  are no differences between OSHA and NRC exposure limits for
Uranium-238(VI)  compounds such as uranyl oxide and uranyl nitrate,
for example.  Both  allow 0.2 mg/m^3.  The OSHA guidelines don't
mention the reproductive,  developmental, immunological or
neurotoxicities at all.  United States  Code, Title 42, Section
2114, requires the NRC to "protect the public  health and safety
and the environment from radiological and  non-radiological hazards"
of Uranium-238 produced as a byproduct of  isotopic refinement.

James,
I was surprised that your reply to my comments only mentioned U-238.   I had
thought, based on your original e-mail that we were discussing the DAC  values
for all radionuclides SNIP>that those derived air concentration  exposure
limits are based only on radiotoxicity, completely ignoring the
chemical toxicity of the isotopes involved; many of  which pose
a far greater chemical than radiological  hazard. <SNIP

The issue of the "reproductive, developmental, immunological or
neurotoxicities" of Uranium is one that has been discussed at length on this  list.  As
yet there hasn't been any evidence that the wider community (even  the wider
antinuclear/anti-DU) accept that Uranium has any reproductive,  developmental,
immunological or neurotoxicity.  As I've said in the past,  if this were the
case I would have expected other organisations (Green Audit,  WISE, RPHP etc.)to
have taken up the issue.  To date most of the efforts to  link these issues
with Uranium have been through your petition to the NRC.   Most of the
controversy surrounding DU is based it's radioactive nature and not  its chemical
toxicity.  While I'm happy to debate this further with you, I  would appreciate it
if you could send on comment on hazards of Uranium to me  directly as I many
on the list have indicated that they don't wish any  further discussions the
chemical toxicity of Uranium on the list.

I would also be happy to discuss the relationship between the DACs for  other
radioisotopes and their chemical toxicity.

Warmest regards,
Julian