AW: [ RadSafe ] TMI - reported "metallic taste"

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 13 13:59:25 CST 2006

A confounding factor also be the way the information
was gathered.  One could ask of a resident around TMI,
"Did you notice anything different?"  Alternately, one
could ask, "Did you notice anything different, like a
metallic taste?" hinting to iodine or some other
factor.  If people believe that they were harmed,
their memories become a bit clouded.  Or biased.

http://images.google.se/images?hl=en&q=Anguis%20fragilis&btnG=Google+Search&sa=N&tab=wi

> I was only allowed to bring two to Stockholm during
> winter (and outsmarted
> my parents by always including a pregnant
> female...). I kept these in a
> small terrarium and fed them with earthworms etc.
> From that came a certain
> smell that I obviously accepted and got used to.
> This was in the early
> 1960:ies and I used to listen to the pop music of
> that time.
>
> Now to the point: If I today, more than 40 years
> later, hear some of those
> pop songs, they trigger my mind to give me a
> sensation of the smell of that
> lizard installation.
>
> I am pretty sure that our minds can stand for all
> sorts of "automatic"
> associations (just think about dreams!) - so why not
> a metallic paranoia?
>
> Just my personal reflections,
>
> Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers at hotmail.com

"It is not the job of public-affairs officers to alter, filter or
adjust engineering or scientific material produced by NASA's technical
staff."
MICHAEL D. GRIFFIN, NASA administrator.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS