AW: [ RadSafe ] Contribution from natural back ground radiation andmedical radiation procedures

parthasarathy k s ksparth at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 15 03:15:04 CST 2006

Dear Dr Rainer  Facius,
  Thank you very much for the information.Values of medical radiation doses to population in different countries are available in UNSCEAR publications.Also it seems that most of it, in developed countries is contributed by computed tomography examinations. What is notable is that in many countries a substantial part of radiation exposure to population comes from medical radiation procedures.The absolute values may differ from individual to individual. This is likely to be a major confounding factor in epidemiological studies of radiation workers.
  For a radiation worker with an occupational history of 20 to 25 years, the occupational radiation dose may be higher during the early part of his career; dose from medical radiation sources may be less. During the end of his career, medical radiation dose may be a significant part of the total dose.Occupational doses indicate decreasing trends whereas medical exposures show increasing trends.
  But human tissue is "secular"; it will not distinguish between medical radiation and occupational radiation!
  With best regards
  K.S.Parthasarathy

Rainer.Facius at dlr.de wrote:
  Dr. Parthasarathy:

In Germany the average annual exposure from medical sources - nearly 100% from diagnostic X-rays as you say - amounts to 2 mSv rather than 1 mSv per caput.

Regards, Rainer

Dr. Rainer Facius
German Aerospace Center
Institute of Aerospace Medicine