[ RadSafe ] SSKI for inpt I-131 therapy room

Ratliff, Larry RatliffL at exempla.org
Wed Feb 15 14:44:19 CST 2006

That is what I thought as well (nonsense) but to clarify.  My RSO was looking to cut down on the exposure from the sink after use.  I got a really good explanation from another gentleman that I will cut and paste here

(from Pete)
I don't know if you've ever had to remove a trap from a sink but there is usually a buildup of protein and grease on the inside. Iodine is very reactive and attaches to tyrosine in the proteins (that's how proteins are labelled for RIA, etc.) If you put cold iodine in the sink, the cold iodine will react with the protein and hopefully will leave very few tyrosines available for the hot iodine to react with. The hot stuff should then just go down the drain.

Every once in a while we put Drano down the drain to remove the protein and grease.

Pete

Peter Fear
SUNY Upstate Medical University
Radiation Safety Office
636 UH
750 E. Adams St.
Syracuse, NY 13210

Phone: (315)464-6510
FAX:     (315)464-5095
fearp at upstate.edu

So maybe that helps as it did help me

Larry

Larry W Ratliff BS, RT(N)(R)(CT)
EGSMC Nuclear Medicine Team Lead
303-689-4147 (Office)
303-897-2737 (Pager)
303-689-4186 (FAX)

 "Don't fight the problem; decide it."--General George C. Marshall