[ RadSafe ] Please be My Google

Maury Siskel maurysis at ev1.net
Sat Feb 18 12:58:55 CST 2006

Below is the latest item I've found regarding the 'missing' rods
_______________________-
February 23, 2005

  PG&E: Missing nuke fuel rods found -- maybe

After looking for them for seven months, Pacific Gas & Electric Co.
<http://www.bizjournals.com/search/bin/search?q=%22Pacific%20Gas%20%26%20Electric%20Co%22&t=sanjose>
says it may have found what remains of three missing nuclear fuel rods
from its Humboldt Bay nuclear power plant near Eureka in Northern
California.

The three rods, which were 18 inches in length when they were taken out
of service, apparently have been sitting at the bottom of the plant's
used fuel pool since the 1960s.

But because they've been damaged by other used rods piled on top of them
over the years, PG&E isn't claiming they've really been found.

"The results of the investigation to date, while inconclusive, support
our original belief that the segments are either in our possession in
the used fuel pool or were shipped offsite to a licensed nuclear waste
facility," says Greg Rueger, senior vice president for generation and
chief nuclear officer, in a written statement. "Based on an independent
expert analysis of the fuel fragments we have recovered from the used
fuel pool, it is most likely that we have the cut fuel rod segments in
our possession. Unfortunately, their condition after 40 years of being
stored under other components in the pool makes positive identification
extremely difficult."