[ RadSafe ] Can tritium produce bremsstrahlung?

Baumbaugh, Joel SPAWAR joel.baumbaugh at navy.mil
Tue Feb 21 15:51:25 CST 2006

Jon,

Just for the heck of it, I tried to count/find bremsstrahlung x-rays
from a 20+ curie Tritium exit sign in a low-background well once with no
luck in detecting them.  I'm sure they're being produced (just the known
mechanics of beta deflection producing the x-rays says that they are),
but they're so weak that my 3" NaI(tl) crystal at work couldn't resolve
the 0.018601 MeV peak over the ambient background..... maybe with a
germanium crystal?

Joel Baumbaugh (baumbaug at nosc.mil)

SSC-SD

Std. disclaimer.  My opinion, and my opinion only, not necessarily that
of my employer, the U.S. Navy... etc., etc., etc.....