[ RadSafe ] Re: "State of Fear"

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 22 16:07:01 CST 2006

Joel,
I think what you are referring to is the relationship
between the ice ages and the Milankovitch Cycles.
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/seasons_orbit.html
I think that it is fascinating that a person could
work out such complex mathematical calculations in the
1920s, i.e., before computers.

As noted:
". . . The mechanism by which the Earth's orbital
eccentricity could affect the climate in such a direct
and important way is not known, although recent
evidence (published in 2000) indicates that
atmospheric carbon dioxide may play a leading role in
amplifying the orbital effect. However, some
researchers still have doubts about the association
between the 100,000-year climate cycle and orbital
variations. Thus, many questions remain about
long-term climate variations and their relationship,
if any, to astronomical causes."

A book that I read is "Ice Age" by John and Mary
Gribbin.

--- Cehn at aol.com wrote:

> There's an excellent book on climate change called,
> "Frozen Earth," by a
> Univ. of Calif. professor (forget his name).  He
> re-presents the  theory of
> changing solar orbit as the cause of ice ages and
> says another one is  on the way!
> I recommend it.
>
> Joel I. Cehn, CHP
> _joelc at alum.wpi.edu_ (mailto:joelc at alum.wpi.edu)

"It is not the job of public-affairs officers to alter, filter or
adjust engineering or scientific material produced by NASA's technical
staff."
MICHAEL D. GRIFFIN, NASA administrator.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS