[ RadSafe ] Uranium content of airborne dust

Wesley wesvanpelt at att.net
Thu Feb 23 10:01:11 CST 2006

Jim and All,

The dust that blows up from dust storms in the Sahara in Africa travels
hundreds or thousands of miles. This was described by Charles Darwin in his
Voyage of the Beagle:

Generally the atmosphere is hazy; and this is caused by the falling of
impalpably fine dust, which was found to have slightly injured the
astronomical instruments. The morning before we anchored at Porto Praya, I
collected a little packet of this brown-coloured fine dust, which appeared
to have been filtered from the wind by the gauze of the vane at the
masthead. Mr. Lyell has also given me four packets of dust which fell on a
vessel a few hundred miles northward of these islands. Professor Ehrenberg
[3] finds that this dust consists in great part of infusoria with siliceous
shields, and of the siliceous tissue of plants. In five little packets which
I sent him, he has ascertained no less than sixty-seven different organic
forms! The infusoria, with the exception of two marine species, are all
inhabitants of fresh-water. I have found no less than fifteen different
accounts of dust having fallen on vessels when far out in the Atlantic.

Best regards,

Wes

Wesley R. Van Pelt, PhD, CIH, CHP

Wesley R. Van Pelt Associates, Inc.