[ RadSafe ] Wind power

Neill Stanford stanford at stanforddosimetry.com
Thu Feb 23 11:18:41 CST 2006

As I see it, the big draw for exploring/deploying wind power is diversifying
our energy sources. After 5 yrs of off-the-grid sailing with solar, wind and
diesel generated amps, I can attest that a multi-source approach makes a lot
of sense. Just because it isn't feasable to generate all of our power from
wind, doesn't mean there is no place for it. My small-scale experience is
that wind power can be very effective, clean, and satisfying; but at the
same time loud, dangerous, inconsistent, and very maintenance intensive (esp
in a salt water environment on a moving platform). Diesel is dirty with
moderate operating costs but generally reliable. Solar is blissfully
maintenance free but often inconsistent with relatively low output. That
said, it is a great feeling to have the security of three different sources.
I think that is really what is needed.
Put the solar panels in the desert, put the windmills on the ocean bluffs
and use them to augment, not replace, the large capacity "traditional"
sources.

Neill Stanford, CHP
Stanford Dosimetry, LLC
PO Box 935