[ RadSafe ] Can tritium produce bremsstrahlung?

Tom Harrison HarrisoT at adaf.admin.unt.edu
Thu Feb 23 15:13:02 CST 2006

John and Wes and all:

Yes, all this is correct, but I wanted to point out the interesting
physics going on here. What I refer to is that for the H-3 on the
average low energy betas, you have a double wammy, in that the beta
spectrum intensity does indeed  peak in rhe energy range 2-4 kev, but
also, if you fold in the bremmstrahlung spectrum for
emitted(decelerated) electrons, it too is a strong inverse fuction of
energy since it depends on the impact parameter, a geometric affect. For
this reason, the X-rays from the endpoint energies have to be very
intense and/or the materials passed thru by the X-rays has to be
non-attentuating .......  interesting stuff .... physics wise ....  thus
the curie activities detected....

but then, nothing like observation to prove theory wrong !!

Tom Harrison, Ph.D.
Radiation Safety Office
University of North  Texas
Denton, TX