[ RadSafe ] TFP - next questions

Bradshaw, Keith keith.bradshaw at niras.co.uk
Fri Jan 6 04:35:56 CST 2006

James,

>Is there any reason that chemoluminescent contamination is
>expected to be more prevalent in areas near reactors?

Can you explain what you mean by "chemoluminescent contamination" please?

>> simply precipiting carbonates is not specific enough for
>> Sr-90 analysis.  A whole range of natural (and artificial)
>> radionuclides would carry through the procedure.

>So where's that mass spectroscopy money from the nuclear
>energy industry associations?

>[more crickets]

You don't need a mass spectrometer.  The Quantulus itself is an expensive
instrument and I don't think they can plead poverty as an excuse.  In the UK
at least, you're looking at the thick end of £50,000 (about US$90,000). If
used in tandem with a procedure that removes interferences, it would have
been able to detect 0.001Bq (0.027 pCi)of Sr-90.  As it is, they MAY have
detected an increased gross beta.  But without looking at the detail of the
criteria for deciding on the detection limit, I can't say whether or not
they've even done that.  It's actually very unfortunate that these
politically sensitive and hard won samples were analysed in such a
questionable manner.

BTW, it looks to me that chemoluminescence shouldn't be a problem here.
Using only the channels above 400 would cut this out.  Also, K-40 is
probably one of the few nuclides that might have been removed via the
precipitation.  Still leaves most of the rest of the periodic table though.

Personal views only

keith.bradshaw at niras.co.uk

www.niras.co.uk

AMEC Nuclear Holdings Limited (no. 3725076), AMEC NNC Limited (no. 1120437), National Nuclear Corporation Limited (no. 2290928), STATS-NNC Limited (no. 4339062) and Technica-NNC Limited (no. 235856).  The registered office of each company is at Booths Park, Chelford Road, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 8QZ except for Technica-NNC Limited whose registered office is at Citygate, Altens Farm Road, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, AB12 3LB.  AMEC NNC's head office and principal address is Booths Park and the switchboard number is 01565 633800.
The AMEC NNC website is www.amecnnc.com

Any request, advice, information or opinion in this message which does not relate to the business of any of the above companies is not authorised by any of the above companies.  Where this message does so relate,  it is sent by the relevant company (as above) and is confidential and intended for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.  The content is subject to contract and, unless so stated, does not form part of any contract.  If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the AMEC NNC system manager by email at eadm at amecnnc.com.