[ RadSafe ] Dreaming of a Gamma Dose/Exposure Rate Instrument

BLHamrick at aol.com BLHamrick at aol.com
Fri Jan 13 20:20:19 CST 2006

In my fantasy world, I think that my "dream" instrument would be one  that
could reliably and efficiently detect nuclear weaponry, at any distance,  with
any shielding intervening, but I expect that shall remain pure  fantasy.

And, with that, I am compelled to quote a passage from "American  Prometheus,
The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer:"

"When he was asked in a closed Senate hearing in 1946 "whether three or  four
men couldn't smuggle units of an [atomic] bomb into New York and blow up  the
whole city," he responded pointedly, "Of course it could be done, and people
could destroy New York."  To the follow- question of a startled senator,
"What insturment would you use to detect an atomic bomb hidden somewhwer in a
city"  Oppenheimer quipped, "A screwdriver [to open each and every crate or
suitcase]."

Alas, we haven't come very far, have we?

Barbara

In a message dated 1/13/2006 9:54:37 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,