[ RadSafe ] RE: Greenpeace nuclear video

JGinniver at aol.com JGinniver at aol.com
Tue Jan 17 17:29:00 CST 2006

Chris,
your correct that Sizewell B is based on the Westinghouse SNUPPS
(Standardised Nuclear Utilities Power Plant System) and it's closest cousins in  the US
are Wolf Creek and Callaway.  However it had a number of significant  design
changes over the standard design.  One of these is the containment  building.
Sizewell B has a double containment, the outer shell is  reinforced concrete
(whose dimensions I can't remember, it may be 20cm but I  can't be sure) a gap
of about 2 meters and an inner containment of pre-stressed  concrete whose
thickness varies between 100cm and 130cm and which has a 6mm  thick welded liner.
As I recall the primary containment has 50% more rebar  than any other PWR.

There are also lots of other design changes that were required to meet  UK
licensing criteria.

Regards,
Julian