[ RadSafe ] Your letter of Jan. 6

Bernard Cohen blc+ at pitt.edu
Wed Jan 18 09:32:56 CST 2006

    I am writing in response to your letter of Jan. 6 bemoaning the fact
that theYucca Mountain repository seems to be going nowhere, summarized
in your sentences "Maybe the repository will be finished bo 2030. Maybe
not."
    I believe it is extremely important to educate the public to
understand that buried radioactive waste is not an important potential
threat to human health. I don't think the public can ever understand or
become comfortable with the Probabilistic Risk Analysis (PRA) approach
used by DOE; It is vulnerable to criticism on many points and the
critics are only too happy to take advantage of this, and the public
cannot judge between "experts". I have long advocated doing a PRA for an
average U.S. location (which I have shown is very easy to do and to be
understood by the public, and which comes out quite acceptable), and
relying on the public to believe that the experts can choose a site at
least as good as an average site. My most recent presentation of this
viewpoint is published in "Probabilistc risk analysis for a high level
waste repository", Risk Analysis 23:909-915;2003
     An improved approach to achieving public understanding was recently
published in my paper  "Understanding the toxicity of buried radioactive
waste and its impact", Health Phys 89;355-358;2005. It shows in easily
understandable fashion that the buried waste from a continuous nuclear
power program operating over thousands of years will cause about 1.0
deaths per year in U.S. based on assuming LNT and no improvement in
cancer cure rates.
    If someone would figure out how to present these ideas to the mass
public audience, I think it would do a lot of good. Any advice on how I
might help in this would be greatly appreciated.