[ RadSafe ] Can anyone help with this mystery?

farbersa at optonline.net farbersa at optonline.net
Mon Jan 23 15:50:04 CST 2006

Dr. Cohen,
I've not seen the paper. However, a basic question. Is there any difference in the distribution, mean,  or median number of years worked by workers in each interval?  For example, if the lower exposure intervals involved persons irradiated over a shorter number of work years, accumulating lower exposure on average over that time, the number who would die of cancer at their  younger ages would be expected to be lower, given the lower fraction of all deaths due to cancer at lower average age.

Thus the findings could in this case be an artifact of the age distribution and exposure per year of these workers.  Does the paper have any information on these questions about age distribution by interval?

Stewart Farber