[ RadSafe ] cancer is the result of defective tissue/immunecontrol

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 7 10:19:30 CDT 2006

Jim,
You really should give me more credit for giving you a
soapbox for your interpretation of biology.  I also
gives you a chance to rail against those who dare to
question your views.  I am always amazed at the number
of groups that have conspired against you.  You had to
even go back to 1936 to find a report.

As always, not all that follows in your post in
relevant to the original discussion.

My point was that the cancers are seldom if ever
attacked by the body's own immune system.
Consequently, medicine is looking at other therapies.
For example Herceptin (Trastuzumab) a recombinant
humanized monoclonal antibody was been recruited to
deliver chemotherapy drugs to the HER2 receptor that
is overexpressed in breast cancers. There is no
evidence that the body's own immune system targets the
HER2 receptor.  This is the future of cancer
treatments.
http://imaginis.com/breasthealth/herceptin.asp

--- "Muckerheide, Jim  (CDA)"
<Jim.Muckerheide at state.ma.us> wrote:

> That's great John.
>
> You see that radiation-induced cancer is NOT caused
> by DNA damage.
>
> Also, that the biological responses of low vs. high
> doses are different (essentially "opposite").  They
> are discontinuous in health effects (as low as 20-30
> rem for acute dose ratse - for some cancers, but
> then not usually for total-cancers - so is that
> significant "health effect")?
>
> At the low dose rates, the biological responses are
> those that explicitly stimulate factors that
> perform/enhance "error-free" repair, including
> immune cells and functions, and other damage
> response and repair mechanisms, especially key
> enzymes.  At higher doses, different genes and other
> factors respond, with opposite responses (stimulated
> vs, suppressed, or vice versa) by a subset of genes
> and other factors.
>
> Cancer is the result of failure to repair damage in
> tissues, not of damaged cells (much less DNA), of
> which moderate to high doses make a small
> contribution to normal metabolic damage, including
> double strand breaks.
>
> This was the basis of the letter from the DOE
> Director of the Office of Science to the President
> of the NAS stating that the BEIR VII Committee had
> failed to take into account the current knowledge of
> radiation effects. Indeed, BEIR VII just
> regurgitated much irrelevant and discredited data,
> while obfuscating some relevant data, and simply
> ignoring the voluminous actual data, as always,
> since 1935-36. (We can identify more than 3000 data
> sources, since 1896, while there are essentially NO
> confirmed sources supporting the LNT.  There are
> few, perhaps less than a dozen, nominally relevant,
> confirmed, results that are claimed to support the
> LNT.  These are like Alice Stewart's claim that
> fetal x-rays caused increases in childhood cancer,
> which is of dubious significance even if it were
> true. But this was from interview recollections of
> x-rays which are subject to bias by people
> with adverse consequences vs. those who did not.
> This is claimed to be confirmed by McMahon in
> Boston, with a similarly uncertain study.  However,
> more definitive studies. e.g., a cohort in Chicago
> in which all women were x-rayed without medical
> indication to bias selection "for cause" which would
> clearly tend to refute low doses as a possible cause
> of health effects. We sent several hundred refs and
> made a presentation, as did Ed Calabrese, without
> any substantial assessment of the data.)
>
> These committees are the equivalent of people who
> would claim that apples can fall UP, and claim that
> 'we really don't know what makes gravity work' so we
> can't really know that they don't just because we
> haven't seen them.  But they would "recommend"
> putting nets over all the orchards in order to
> protect us from losing apples until the research can
> be certain one way or the other.
>
> Of course, they would then claim that apples falling
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

+++++++++++++++++++
e to the x, dy dx, e to the x, dx
Tangent, Secant, Cosine, Sine
3.14159
Square Root, Cuberoot, udv
Slipstick, slideroot
NCE

Cheerleaders chant from my old undergraduate college.
-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com