[ RadSafe ] Accidents and incidents Involving the transport of radioactive materials in the

LNMolino at aol.com LNMolino at aol.com
Fri Jul 7 17:09:57 CDT 2006

Accidents and incidents Involving the transport of radioactive materials  in
the UK [Jul 7 Edinburgh Scotland]--The Health Protection Agency's  Radiation
Protection Division has today published a report on accidents and  incidents
involving the transport of radioactive materials in the UK , from  1958 to
2004.  The report finds that the most serious of these events  involved the
transport of poorly shielded industrial radiography sources,  which occurred
mainly in the 1970s. Some of these incidents led to radiation  exposures to
workers and members of the public. Better training has ensured  that no
similar events have occurred for 20 years.  The report also  details trends
in other types of events; for example, a rise in incidents of  excess
radioactive contamination on nuclear fuel flasks in the late 1990s  was
reduced by better procedures at nuclear power stations.  Radiological
consequences from these incidents, both to workers handling the  flasks and
to members of the public, were negligible. The report concludes  that good
training of the workers involved in the transport of radioactive  materials
should always be a  priority.

http://www.bigmedicine.ca/europe.htm#Accidents_and_incidents_Involving_the_t
ransport_of_radioactive_materials_in_the_UK

Louis N.  Molino, Sr., CET
FF/NREMT-B/FSI/EMSI
Freelance  Consultant/Trainer/Author/Journalist/Fire Protection  Consultant

LNMolino at aol.com

979-412-0890 (Cell  Phone)
979-361-4636 (Home Phone)
979-690-7559 (IFW/TFW/FSS  Office)
979-690-7562 (IFW/TFW/FSS Fax)

"A Texan with a Jersey  Attitude"

"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small  minds
discuss people" Eleanor Roosevelt - US diplomat & reformer (1884 -  1962)

The comments contained in this E-mail are the opinions of the  author and the
author alone. I in no way ever intend to speak for any person or
organization that I am in any way whatsoever involved or associated with unless  I
specifically state that I am doing so. Further this E-mail is intended only  for its
stated recipient and may contain private and or confidential materials
retransmission is strictly prohibited unless placed in the public domain by the
original author.