[ RadSafe ] Outcry as border guards seize British 'dirty bomb' lorry heading for Iran

Dan W. McCarn mccarn at unileoben.ac.at
Sun Jul 23 21:30:52 CDT 2006

A view from a geologist:

Iran is a huge oil producer, and the very nature of petroleum exploration /
development entails geophysical borehole logging - always with gamma-gamma
density and neutron porosity tools with sources comparable to the IAEA Category
2 and 3. I'm sure that they have scores of neutron and gamma sources in the
Iranian & private petroleum industry currently in use, and have retired many
more over the past 4 or 5 decades. Not to mention large cobalt and cesium
teletherapy sources for cancer treatment (remember the problems with abandoned
sources in Mexico & Brazil?) or food preparation / sterilization.

The more "pedestrian" sources for waterwell borehole logging that I've used are
125 mCi Cs-137 and 2 Ci Am/Be sources.

Somehow I feel that the journalist is "reaching" a bit to say that the load was
addressed to the Iranian military.  More likely it was the Iranian agricultural
ministry or someone building roads, etc. And only 10 of them. Sounds reasonable.
 I could use a soil moisture / density tool in my project work if the Bulgarians
would like to send one...

I think that you are correct in saying that Dr. Frank Barnaby doesn't get out
much.  Perhaps he should read Article IV, Paragraph 2 of the NPT.

Dan W. McCarn, Geologist
AIPG CPG #10245, Wyoming PG #3031, EurGeol #462
Houston, TX