[ RadSafe ] Outcry as border guards seize British 'dirtybomb'lorry heading for Iran

Muckerheide, Jim (CDA) Jim.Muckerheide at state.ma.us
Mon Jul 24 21:38:30 CDT 2006

Hi Ed,

Good point.

Note that Saddam Hussein gave up producing a "dirty bomb" (to be an actual deliverable bomb) around 1988.

Even using a radioisotope that was activated in a reactor, they reached the obvious conclusion that, either the dispersion would result in exposures that are too low to be effective, or be too small an area if the source dispersion was limited to achieve a high enough concentration to be a hazardous dose. A contaminated "exclusion zone" could be easily avoided by the opposition by going around or moving quickly through a contaminated area (among other problems).

A 1000 r/hr exposure is just 50 r for 3 minutes - which is at a low enough dose rate to be (marginally) beneficial! :-)

Regards, Jim