[ RadSafe ] measurement of Kr-85 using Overhoff 400 portable tritium moni...

JGinniver at aol.com JGinniver at aol.com
Wed Jul 26 11:22:29 CDT 2006

Hi,
thanks for responding to my query.  Just to clarify, I'm not concerned  about
the photon emissions from Kr-85, and I am aware of the two compensation
detectors in the instrument.  Rather it is the difficulty of estimating the
number of ion pairs formed per Bq from the betas from Kr-85 compared with the
number of ion pairs formed per Bq from tritium.  The difficult bit is  estimating
the average energy deposited in each of the measuring chambers in the
Overhoff from the Kr-85 betas.  This is difficult because the detectors are  designed
so that all of the energy of a typical Tritium beta is deposited in the
detector, whereas the Kr-85 have much more energy and will only deposit part of
their energy within the detector.

For standard Ion chamber instruments it is usually assumed that the
radiation field exists outside the detector and that any losses from within the
detector are counterbalanced by further photons/particles entering the  detector.

Unfortunately in this case the gas is inside the detector as it  was sampling
from and returning to a duct (i.e. it was not immersed in a  cloud) any betas
that leave the detector are lost and are not balanced by  further betas
entering the detector.

What I'm hoping is that someone in Radsafe land may either have undertaken
claibration/testing of an Overhoff 400 with a know quantity of Kr-85 and so
have  a conversion factor, or alternatively may have done some montecarlo or
other  calculation to estimate the Mean Free Path of Kr-85 betas in a given
detector  size or volume.

Here's hoping,
                Julian

For a better summary of the problem I would recommend Page 147 of Radiation
Detection and Measurement (3rd edition), Glen F Knoll, Wiley, ISBN
0-471-07338-5