[ RadSafe ] Optimism - Nuclear Energy Resurgence in USA

howard long hflong at pacbell.net
Thu Jun 1 12:47:35 CDT 2006

Dear Maury,
  Your sardonic humor is enjoyed but mistaken.

  Nuclear electricity plant permit applications burgeon with encouragement of President Bush and most environmentalists !

  Ten , 20, or 30 years ago, Radsafers and scientists would have been overjoyed with prospects we have today.

  Howard Long

Maury Siskel <maurysis at ev1.net> wrote:
  An Attempted clarification:
1. I was lamenting the gradual changes removing a richness from our
lives and the effects these changes are imposing, in my opinion, on our
youngsters and on future generations.
2. I resent the increasing difficulties being imposed on my selfish
pursuit of mischief enjoyed to the core by me and some who quietly know
me. I love doing things which stimulate the UFO/crop circle believers
and the otherwise superstitious folks, as well as the authorities who
take themselves and their jobs just a tad too seriously. It probably is
best I leave my pranks to be related by my kids after I'm gone. At 78,
I'm term limited and that also is proper. Thankfully I have tolerant,
good humored neighbors, thoroughly mystified local gendarmes, and loving
children and a dog who realize that I'm a certifiable nut (Thus, living
continues to be a fun thing.)
3. I do NOT view these developments as recent results of the current
war on terror (which I happen to believe to be deadly serious). Rather,
they have long been in progress and result from too many fights and wars
-- on poverty, on drugs, on discrimination, on hate, against alcoholand
for ethanol, on communists, on libertarians, on athieism, on
intolerance, on fundamentalists, on sugar, on blah,blah,and blah....

It seems no longer possible merely to favor or just to oppose an idea or
person. I believe that the US experienced a sort of golden age from
about 1945 until about 1960. Science, education, technology, personal
liberty, personal responsibility, personal judgment, and yes, personal
and national dreams all thrived. Many people genuinely loved, hated,
and respected each other even as they vigorously opposed each others'
viewpoints. A few politicians actually were statesmen. In the '60s and
through the Viet Nam conflict, we lost our way.

A few may be mystified by all of this, but hopefully most will
understand what I'm conveying so poorly. Finally, I am grateful to
Jim and Marcel for allowing me to strain the relevance limits of Radsafe
and Riskanal -- all of you are a great collection of thoughtful people.
Please do keep a good supply of used RR ties on hand to prop up the
never ending falling sky.
Deeply felt regards to all,
Maury&Dog
____________
It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves under the flag, and
whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the
flag. Charles M. Province
--------------------
safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
-- WOW--What a ride!!!"
________________
Humanity has advanced, when it has advanced, not because it has been
sober, responsible, and cautious, but because it has been playful,
rebellious, and immature. Tom Robbins
====================================

Deborah Frisch wrote:

Dear Maury&Dog,

Thanks for your fascinating post. With Cheney-esque precision, you take
aim at a very wide range of targets:

1.environmentalists ("we must ensure that our views of land and
seascapes remain uncluttered and that we do not risk any damage to our
beaches. ..And Heaven forbid that we risk any contamination of our air.")

2. scientists, engineers and politicians ("we continue to encourage
intellectual eunuchs who will become intellectually sterile scientists,
engineers, and politicians.")

3. Francophiles (or is it th Francophobes you mock?) ("Let those stupid
French continue to supply 70% of their own electricity with their own
nuclear power plants.")

I have no idea what your point was, but I really enjoyed it. I
especially liked the link,
(http://wired.com/wired/archive/14.06/chemistry_pr.html) alerting us to
the real victims of the war on terrorism: American capitalists who are
unfairly targeted as terrorists. I was shocked and appalled to read ["A
lot of retailers are scared to carry a real chemistry set now because of
liability concerns," McGuire explains.]