[ RadSafe ] Greenpeace gets egg on its face

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 2 16:04:47 CDT 2006

My daughter worked for a transcription agency that
provided written copies of television new shows.  One
day someone was putting funny comments into a
transcription they were working on.  Of course, it was
sent out that way to the general embarrassment of the
company.

--- Rogers Brent <Brent.Rogers at environment.nsw.gov.au>

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/01/AR2006060101
> 884.html?referrer=email&referrer=email
>

> The environmental activist group Greenpeace wanted
> to be prepared to counter
> President Bush's visit last week to Pennsylvania to
> promote his nuclear
> energy policy.
> "This volatile and dangerous source of energy" is no
> answer to the country's
> energy needs, shouted a Greenpeace fact sheet,
> decrying the "threat" posed
> by the reactors Bush visited in Limerick.
>
> But after that assertion, the Greenpeace authors
> were apparently stumped
> while searching for the ideal menacing metaphor.
> "In the twenty years since the Chernobyl tragedy,
> the world's worst nuclear
> accident, there have been nearly [FILL IN ALARMIST
> AND ARMAGEDDONIST FACTOID
> HERE]," the sheet said.
> The Greenpeace spokesman who issued the memo, Steve
> Smith, told the Web site
> that a colleague was making a joke in a draft that
> was then mistakenly
> released.
> The final version did not mention Armageddon;
> instead it warned of plane
> crashes and reactor meltdowns.
>
> ******
> Too bizarre to make up!
>
> Brent Rogers
> Manager Radiation Operations Unit
> NSW Environment Protection Authority
> Department of Environment and Conservation
> *+61 2 9995 5986
> *+61 2 9995 6603
> * PO Box A290 Sydney South 1232

"You get a lot more authority when the workforce doesn't think it's amateur hour on the top floor."
GEN. MICHAEL V. HAYDEN, President Bush's nominee for C.I.A. director.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com