[ RadSafe ] Re: [Know_Nukes] Article: A fresh look at glass -- implications for radioactive waste disposal Thank you

parthasarathy k s ksparth at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 5 13:27:32 CDT 2006

Dear John,
Thank you very much for this update.I have been getting ready to review some of the technological developments in radioactive waste management when I received your message on glass. As a matter of fact,I briefed a journalist attached to a leading Indian newspaper on radioactive waste management. She had just now visited the Waste Immobilization Plant at Tarapur. My meeting with her  was helpful as it provided some useful inputs regarding the misunderstanding of the media.

I had a pleasant encounter once with leading anti-nuclear activist who was an eminent judge of the Indian Supreme Court. He believed that radioactive waste is placed in glass vessels for manging it safely.It took some time for me to understand that he could not follow the process of vitrification. He uproariously laughed and told me that he cannot trust the technologists who will use glass for waste management and claim that it will not break!
Regards
K.SParthasarathy