[ RadSafe ] NYT Article: N.Y. Grid Could Stand to LoseReactors,Panel Says

Stewart Farber farbersa at optonline.net
Thu Jun 8 11:52:49 CDT 2006

Hello all,

I don't have figures at hand, but a good fraction of the very large output
of the Bruce and Pickering nuclear complexes' output in Canada [8 units at
each site] has been pumped south to the US over the past 20 years.  Rather
than the US building its own nuclear generating capacity to meet its growing
energy demand, we have relied to some extent on Canadian nuclear generation
flowing into our grid at a price higher than we would have to pay for
domestic nuclear power production.

Another example of NIMBY with nuclear capacity just the other side of the
Great Lakes meeting our needs, even tho' the cost is higher.

As they say in Quebec [and France with 78% of its' electric demand met by
nuclear generation:

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose  [The more things change, the more
they stay the same].

Stewart Farber