[ RadSafe ] Low background Shielding Material

franz.schoenhofer at chello.at franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Fri Jun 9 09:25:34 CDT 2006

Both explanations are correct. I can testify for both because of bad experience. In one shielding made from old lead with a commercial steel frame we could clearly see Co-60, in another one we observed elevated concentrations of Cs-137. The latter was made from very old steel - actually a steam locomotive from the beginning of the 20th century. Unfortunately it had for many decades been exposed on a scrapyard in the open air to weather and also nuclear fallout. Rust is an excellent scavenger for radionuclides and especially Cs-137. I experienced this also during my work on Mururoa and Fangataufa: Exposed stainless steel objects showed no contamination, while rusty iron did.

I have seen shieldings for gamma-spectrometry made of steel from old battleships,  but they had been sunk and thus protected from fallout.

Best regards,

Franz