[ RadSafe ] MDA calculation for ratemeters

Ron Reif rreif at whoi.edu
Wed Jun 14 16:05:23 CDT 2006

Dear Radsafe list,

Thanks to everyone who sent me information on the subject inquiry.  Several
folks from the Radsafe list asked me to share related information after I
completed my review of the materials.  Based on numerous responses from
members of Radsafe, there are appears to be primarily two methods used for
the determining minimum detectable activity (MDA) for contamination surveys
using rate meters: 1) NUREG-1507 Section 6.8.1, which is the same as MARSSIM
Section 6.7.2 and 2) Technical Information from Ludlum Measurements, Inc.
Depending on the input values, the MDA results from these two methods can be
significantly different.  Links to the NUREG-1507, MARSSIM, and Ludlum
Measurements Technical Information are provided below:

NUREG-1507:  http://www.orau.gov/ddsc/instrument/NUREG-1507.pdf

MARSSIM:  http://www.epa.gov/radiation/marssim/obtain.htm

Ludlum Measurements:
http://www.ludlums.com/techinfo.htm#NEWSLETTER%20ARTICLES