[ RadSafe ] Swipes

Baumbaugh, Joel SPAWAR joel.baumbaugh at navy.mil
Fri Jun 16 09:43:55 CDT 2006

Jeff,

Where and what you purchase (wipes/swipes) depends on what surface you
normally wipe/swipe and what you use to count your wipes
(Proportional-Beta counter/gamma Counter/LSC).

Due to the nature of my work and job-site, I primarily wipe dry surfaces
(sealed sources or dry bench tops/floors/light-switches/Tissue Culture
enclosures/microfuges, etc.) and count them in a Liquid Scintillation
Counter (LSC).  In my case, and for my application(s) I purchase Whatman
#1 filter papers (available in many lab-supply catalogs).  I cut the
4.25cm circles into quarters and use those for my swipes.  Long, long
ago (while working at a University) we did a series of experiments to
determine self-absorption characteristics of different types of
wipes/swipes in H-3 spiked LSC counting media, and the quarter-circle
Whatman filters were "almost" ideal as they turn opaque in the fluid.
Of course q-tips work well in certain situations, and for "wet"
wipes/swipes you need something "sturdier" than the Whatman's as they'll
tear.

Hope this helps,

Joel Baumbaugh joel.baumbaugh at navy.mil

(SSC-SD)

Std. Disclaimer... Above is my opinion and my opinion only, not
necessarily that of my employer, the U.S. Navy...