Fw: [ RadSafe ] Dose to Mae Keane -Way to narrow down exposure -Addendum

Stewart Farber farbersa at optonline.net
Fri Jun 16 11:48:50 CDT 2006

Hello again,

BTW, regarding sleuthing to determine Mae Keane's dose, the news article
mentioned she only worked at the dial painting plant for a "couple of
months".

The Table A.1 from Rowland's book Radium in Humans  mentioned with the 1,575
dial painter cases includes a column of data on Exposure Duration [weeks],
in addition to year of birth, sex, and year first exposed as I mentioned
previously.  These 4 factors really narrow down what cases [by anonymous
Case Number] match Mae Keane's circumstances to only a handful of cases if
one is willing to scan the 98 page Table A.1. It's not as daunting as it
sounds since only a small fraction were still alive in 1990 that were born
in 1905- 1906. Then scan to see if the case was first exposed in 1923- 1924.
The see if the Exposure Duration is around 8 weeks or so.

The above cut factors should narrow down the possible cases to a handful of
possibilities. It would be interesting to get some ideal of her total dose.

Good luck & let us know what you find,

Stewart Farber, MSPH
radproject at aol.com