[ RadSafe ] Re: Last surviving Radium Girl celebrates 100th birthday

Cehn at aol.com Cehn at aol.com
Mon Jun 19 12:09:05 CDT 2006

As an HP who grew up in Waterbury, CT (same as Mae Keane) I can offer some
local color to this thread.  My uncle had a scrap metal business not far  from
Waterbury Clock Co., and collected scrap metal from them.  I  would do a rad
survey there, but his business is long gone.  Rumor has  it that a Waterbury
Clock manager committed suicide after the bone cancer story  broke.  Waterbury
Clock reached a settlement with the girls to provide  a small stipend in
medical care and other benefits.

On the positive side, Waterbury Clock is important in another way. It  made
the first dollar pocket watch, which was probably the most famous single  watch
ever made, and it sold widely in Europe also. I have seen the  "Waterbury
watch" mentioned in British novels before World War II.

Another book on the subject: R. Mullner, Deadly Glow (1999).

--Joel I. Cehn
_joelc at alum.wpi.edu_ (mailto:joelc at alum.wpi.edu)