[ RadSafe ] Uranium Source

A Karam paksbi at rit.edu
Thu Jun 22 09:49:21 CDT 2006

It's not uncommon to find U minerals that have formed in fossilized plants.  Among the hottest natural rocks I've handled was a large piece of fossilized wood (petrified wood) - it was literally a chunk of wood in which much of the organic material had been replaced by uranium minerals.  I have to admit I did not do any extensive testing, but it felt about as dense as many lead minerals we played with in geology labs and measured about 400 mr/hr beta dose and over 100 mr/hr gamma at a distance of 1 cm or so.  What was neat is that you could still see the texture of the wood.

What happens is that U is soluble in oxygen-rich surface waters and is insoluble in anoxic waters.  So what can happen is that you have a tree fall in a swampy environment and the branch ends up in the anoxic muck at the bottom (or tree roots can do this too).  Then, over time, uraniferous surface waters enter the swamp and mix into the anoxic bottom waters where the U precipitates out and - if you're lucky - replaces some of the organic molecules in the wood.  Neat stuff!

P. Andrew Karam, Ph.D., CHP
Senior Health Physicist
MJW Corporation
pkaram at oraucoc.org

People who believe they are ignorant of nothing have neither looked for, nor stumbled upon, the boundary between what is known and unknown....  Neil deGrasse Tyson, Director, Hayden Planetarium in "In the Beginning", Natural History Magazine, Sept 2003