[ RadSafe ] Thorium in gas lamps

parthasarathy k s ksparth at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 23 01:55:27 CDT 2006

Thorium containing gas mantles are widely used in India. A few years ago, the total consumption used to be about 200 tons. It has come down drastically to about 125 tons or so now. A kilogramme of thorium is used to make 720 gas mantles.

Gas mantles are popular in villages where people gather for wedding ceremonies and festivals. In a typical marriage procession there may be a dozen  lamps generally carried by porters on their shoulders!

The life style of Indians is changing rapidly.Gas mantles are now being replaced by fluorescent bulbs powered by portable diesel generators. The dip in the consumption of thorium is primarily due to the change of practice.

I was surprised to realize that you purchased so many mantles!. Do they serve as check sources? Do you sell them?

Good quality gas mantles are available at 6-7 US cents in India. You can buy 15- 16 pieces for a US $! As many wait with baited breath for the conclusion of the US India Nuclear deal,  what about starting an Indo US trade agreement for gas mantles for checking US radiation detectors! I hope that this  may not cause any proliferation concern!

Interesting thought

Regards
K.S.Parthasarathy