[ RadSafe ] Cancer reduction by Radiation

howard long hflong at pacbell.net
Mon Jun 26 14:31:56 CDT 2006

I just ordered from Laissez Faire Books, 10 more copies of Hiserodt's "Underexposed: What If Radiation Is Good For You". My marked-up cc I gave to a grand daughter just starting a college major in Environmental Science. Some, I may give out at the next public meeting at LLNL of Citizens Against a Radioactive Environment (the very name indicating their ignorance). It cites hundreds of studies, putting in lay terms some of the studies in Muckerheide's great file.

  John, I hope to see you at the Portland meeting Aug 5, questioning Hiserodt, B Cohen, Ted Rockwell, George Gilder and other speakers. More time with them may be available on our bus tour Aug4, Mt St Helens. The presentations are not dumbed- down.  All are welcome. See  www.oism.org/ddp for program.

  Double-blind experimentation is a gold standard applied by bureaucrats for "evidence-based medicine"  I am happy you acknowledge that it is often unnecessary, John

  Howard Long MD MPH (Epidemiology, UCB)

John Jacobus <crispy_bird at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Dr. Long,
Not being an epidemiologist, I doubt your
qualifications to comment on the work of Dr. Laun or
the late Dr. Cameron. A low p-value does not mean the
work is relevant, only that the MATHEMATICS shows a
strong correlation. However, it the data is
inappropriate or there are confounding factors that
bias the data, the p-value is irrelevant. I have yet
to understand why you cannot understand this idea. Or
possible you do not care if the information is bias as
long as it meets your believe.

I have cited work that refuted Dr. Cameron's claims by
individuals who have looked at the Shipyard study.
Again, I have argued with Dr. Laun and we BOTH agree
that more, relevant work needs to be funded.

This work has nothing to do with double blind testing
of penicillin in pneumonia or smoking. Why did you
mention double blind testing? To confuse the
discussion?