[ RadSafe ] Re:Mobile phones & lightning strikes

Dan D. Palmer ddpalmer at duf6.com
Mon Jun 26 13:06:21 CDT 2006

I don't understand your point. The article says that if a conductive material (like a cell phone) is in contact with the skin when you are struck by lightning, it leads to the lighting penetrating the skin rather than running over the skin. This leads to worse injuries.

It does not say that using a cell phone in any way makes it more likely that lightning will stike, just that the resulting injuries may be worse.

I realize many news outlets didn't read or understand what BMJ was saying, but that is not their fault.

>http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/extract/332/7556/1513-b <http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/extract/332/7556/1513-b>

>Worst sort of entertainment - now in sensational media of course.

>Almost everyone has a mobile phone nowadays...

>I bet that those victims had something to drink the last 24 hours before the
>lightning struck. Maybe it is drinks...

>The good thing with this piece of news is that many non-scientists probably
>will understand themselves how crazy this kind of research is.

>The bad thing about it is that the finding pushes most scientists another
>step downhill from the throne of credibility.

>My personal idea only,

This message and any attachments are solely for the use of
the intended recipients.  Unofficial or personal messages do
not reflect the views or position of UDS, LLC; the Department
of Energy or the federal government.  This message may
contain privileged and/or confidential information, attorney
work product or other information protected from disclosure.
If you are not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that you received this email in error, and that any review,
dissemination, distribution or copying of this email and any
attachment is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
email in error, please contact the sender and delete the
message and any attachments from your systems.  Thank
you for your cooperation.