VA study of medical records on birth defects (was Re: [ RadSafe ] RE: uranium in the gulf war)

James Salsman james at bovik.org
Tue Jun 27 12:58:42 CDT 2006

Colonel Daxon writes that after their survey finding an increase
in the rate of birth defects, the Veterans' Administration
"examined the medical records," finding that "the birth defect
rates were equal to the normal population rates."  And that, "the
paper that found that the birth defect rates were equivalent did
not receive much press."

I asked Colonel Daxon for a citation to this paper, but he has
not replied.  Does anyone know what paper he is referring to?

M. Ryan and P. Doyle in "Reproductive health of Gulf War veterans,"
Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B (2006) 361:571
mention no such review of medical records.  I have been begging
Dr. Ryan for such a review for over a year.  When she refused,
I filed a FOIA request which was denied on privacy grounds, even
though I requested redacting.  I appealed but I'm beginning to
suspect my appeal must have been "lost."  That Ryan and Doyle
(2006) paper is the one where they call the near-doubling of
birth defects reported in the children of males "evidence of a
modest increase in risk" and omit all mention of the children of
females, which were reported as nearly tripling of birth defects
from the same source paper.  I am sure they would have mentioned
such a medical records study.

Sincerely,
James Salsman