[ RadSafe ] Re: Cameron's refutation of "Alara Does Work"

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 29 16:41:56 CDT 2006

Dr. Long,
As one one worked with medical records at one of the
Naval shipyards, all workers who were involved with
radiation exposure would have a screen physical.
Frequently, those who had relatives with cancers would
be excluded from work involving radiaion.

Yes, I would think that this would bias the data,
leading to a sicker cohort of not non-radaition
workers.  That is why the study does not exhibit a
healthy worker effect, despite the conclusion of
Rainer, who is neither an epidemiologist nor has
access to the original data.

Of course, I doubt that this selection bias was taken
into account by Matanoski as she only had the records
but not the directives on worker selection.

--- howard long <hflong at pacbell.net> wrote:

> Ranier, your careful review of the Boice commentary
> on Matanoski's presentation of the vast Nuclear
> Shipyard Study, confirms my belief that healthy
> worker effect cannot explain the 3 years of life
> apparently added by exposure of Gulf Coast workers
> to 0.5 rem extra.
>
>   The only credible (although minor) healthy worker
> selection I have seen proposed, was here on Radsafe.
> It was that a doctor giving employment exams might
> unconsciously have directed persons of less vigorous
> health away from imagined hazards of radiation
> exposure, to otherwise identical work.
>
>   Howard Long
>
> Rainer.Facius at dlr.de wrote:
>   Dear John:
>
> Thank you for providing the Boice Jr. (2001) paper
> commenting on Matanoski's Nuclear Shipyard Study. I
> took some time to compare his remarks with the
> original report and therefore my reply is somewhat
> late.
>
> First of all my comparison leads me to conclude,
> that Boice delivered a very compressed but overall
> fair summary of Matanoski's report.
>
> Secondly, his assessment of the high general quality
> of Matanoski's work and report is in line with
> Sponsler and Camerons's (2005) evaluation.
>
> Boice does nowhere claim that the observed
> significantly lower total mortality of the >= 5 mSv
> nuclear as compared to the non-nuclear worker group
> is the result of bias.
>
> He addresses some points of concern without calling
> into question the principal quality of the results.
>
> Boice's concentration on leukaemia data - though
> understandable - is somewhat moot, given the small
> number of cases and indeed he does not draw any
> conclusions from discrepancies with his
> expectations.
>
> Regarding race, Boice states "It appears that race
> was not considered in the analysis which could be an
> important confounder for certain cancers". It is
> true that Matanoski could not stratify their data
> with respect to race since the personnel files did
> not contain this information. It is not true that
> this confounder was not considered. Mantoniski et
> al. discuss in quite some length this problem and
> present their reasons to conclude that their
> findings would not be seriously affected.
>
> An objection sometimes raised against the validity
> of Matanoski's study is the (apparent) absence of
> the healthy worker effect frequently seen in
> occupational studies. Boice also does state this
> absence without drawing the usual conclusion - most
> appropriately so.
>
> Although the literature does differentiate a dozen
> or so 'healthy worker effects' the bulk of this
> selection bias can be attributed to two mechanisms,
> (i) the "healthy worker hire effect" and the
> "healthy worker survivor effect". The first bias
> excludes potential workers whose illness prevents
> them from seeking or finding employment. The
> corresponding biased SMRs ususally scatter around
> 0.90 (90%) and hardly ever fall below 0.80.
> [...]

"You get a lot more authority when the workforce doesn't think it's amateur hour on the top floor."
GEN. MICHAEL V. HAYDEN, President Bush's nominee for C.I.A. director.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com