[ RadSafe ] Re: AW: Cameron's refutation of "Alara Does Work"

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 29 16:50:17 CDT 2006

Rainer,
In our government programs, it was directed that
individuals with a history of or a family history of
cancer would be evaluated for work involving radiation
exposure.  This is one reason the incidence of cancers
for shipyard workers refueling and repairing nuclear
ships were less than that for the general population.

You had to be associated with this work to know that.

--- Rainer.Facius at dlr.de wrote:

> "It was that a doctor giving employment exams might
> unconsciously have
> directed persons of less vigorous health away from
> imagined hazards of
> radiation exposure, to otherwise identical work."
>
> Howard:
>
> I have no means to assess the bearing of this
> suggestion in the nuclear
> shipyard context.
>
> In my (German) experience an employer offering a
> specific open position
> sends applicants which first of all he sees fit for
> a specific task to a
> physician together with an elementary workplace/job
> description. The
> result of the physician's employment medical is
> conveyed to the employer
> in terms of:
>
> "Yes or No" the applicant is fit for the specified
> job - period.
>
> In this setting it is beyond the discretion of the
> physician to direct
> someone to another position and hence here this
> selection bias could be
> ruled out.
>
> Best Regards, Rainer
>

> Dr. Rainer Facius
> German Aerospace Center
> Institute of Aerospace Medicine
> Linder Hoehe
> 51147 Koeln
> GERMANY
> Voice: +49 2203 601 3147 or 3150
> FAX:   +49 2203 61970

=== message truncated ===

"You get a lot more authority when the workforce doesn't think it's amateur hour on the top floor."
GEN. MICHAEL V. HAYDEN, President Bush's nominee for C.I.A. director.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com