AW: [ RadSafe ] cancer is the result of defective tissue/immunecontrol

Rainer.Facius at dlr.de Rainer.Facius at dlr.de
Fri Jun 30 05:47:35 CDT 2006

John:

This very Thursday I was discussing with the head of our Institute - a medical Professor holding also the chair of Aerospace Medicine of our very prestigious University RWTH Aachen - the curriculum for a new Course on Space Medicine in our institute.

Among the topics in physiology, the altered immunocompetence in microgravity was assigned to an extra lecture. Without thinking about my post I drew his attention to the fact that - according to recently emerging empirical evidence - such alterations might well affect seriously our space radiation cancer risk estimates, e.g. for planned missions to Mars if indeed - as I surmised - tumourigenesis were significantly controlled (also) by the immune system. In response he looked at me with an expression of astonishment and (in essence) said:

"Well, this is really an old hat!"

In other words, for him - the Professor of Medicine - these exciting observations by Kim et al. provide just an animal-experimental corroboration of matters of fact which for man are already established.

I in turn was surprised seeing him consider this as a matter of course and was not prepared to argue against it. I certainly will pick up this topic on the next occasion with him and you as well might wish to reconsider it.

Kind regards, Rainer

Dr. Rainer Facius
German Aerospace Center
Institute of Aerospace Medicine