[ RadSafe ] Re: RadSafe

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 30 08:45:01 CDT 2006

Dr. Sanders,
Thank you for responding and posting the attachments.
As I interpret your presentation, there is no real
evidence that radiation prevents lung cancers in
smokers, noting the exclusion of radon exposure?  As
you indicate:

"A low-dose protective apoptosis-mediated (PAM)
process, limiting potential cancer formation, may be
activated by low-dose, low-LET gamma or x-radiations
(Scott 2006a,b,c). Low dose radiation may stimulate
apoptosis of cells transformed by chemical carcinogens
(Mitchel et al. 1999; Sakai et al. 2003). Low dose
ionizing radiation may enhance the elimination by
apoptosis of cigarette-induced transformed pulmonary
cells, thus decreasing lung cancer risk (Scott
2006b)."

Interesting, but I did not see any data to support
this conjecture.

Personally, I try to say out of radon issues.

--- charles l sanders <clsanders at kaist.ac.kr> wrote:

> I read your recent discussion about lung cancer and
> low dose ionizing radiation at the RadSafe site.  I
> am enclosing a recent presentation (PP file) and
> paper I gave at the BELLE 2006 conference on
> hormesis at U Mass.  Please forgive me if I have
> intruded on your site,but I thought you may be
> interested.
>
> Chuck Sanders
> Visiting Professor
> KAIST
> Department of Nuclear & Quantum Engineering
> Daejoen, Republic of Korea
>
> clsanders at kaist.ac.kr

"You get a lot more authority when the workforce doesn't think it's amateur hour on the top floor."
GEN. MICHAEL V. HAYDEN, President Bush's nominee for C.I.A. director.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com