FW: [ RadSafe ] Apologies regarding DU

Kent, Michael D. Michael.Kent at nmcco.com
Fri Mar 3 13:29:04 CST 2006

I have read with particular dismay as this drags on, but now I will add
my take on this.

In MY OWN OPINION this is a simple issue.  When in war you decide how to
maximize the enemies casualties and minimize your own.  Pure and simple.
You do not care about clean up afterwards, because if you lose, you will
probably not be around to care.  Many weapons every country uses has
dangerous side effects (see nearly every battlefield of the 20th
Century, unexploded munitions, mines, etc.) When buildings are bombed,
these buildings may have numerous chemicals, that when burned, produce
terrible long term side effects for many people in the surrounding area.
Mr. Salsman, do you also think therefore building should not be bombed.

Mr. Salsman, you appear to be anti-war.  In this republic that is fine,
but this is not an anti-war web site.  I have read some of your
literature, and some of the opposing literature.

Having been in a technical program of the military, I have found that
the people are of the highest caliber, have integrity, and if an issue
came up that they thought endangered our soldiers, they would speak up.
I have done this and seen it performed many times.  The situation was
resolved to my satisfaction.  I also have known people who left the
military on not-so-good terms, and these people seem to have nothing
nice to say about the military.  This is not to say that these people
who have left do not have integrity, but maybe how they look at things
is jaded by their past experiences (glass half full, half empty).

So I believe it boils down to you have your beliefs and other people
have theirs, and that in the end, you and the other people should agree
to disagree and move on.  I read an article once that I think is
appropriate here:

"I have finally come to understand that I can't convince you, or anyone
else, of anything. We each choose what we believe, and then we believe
what we choose, and one reinforces the other. The best that I could
possibly hope for is to provoke thought, which I can never do if I
discount you, because you become deaf to my words."

This issued has provoked thought and unfortunately more (on to the
discounting part).  Now can the list please move on.

Sincerely,

Michael D. Kent

My views only, and this post does not reflect my employers.