AW: [ RadSafe ] James Salsman, DU, and peer-reviewed literature

Rainer.Facius at dlr.de Rainer.Facius at dlr.de
Mon Mar 6 04:29:42 CST 2006

Steven:

Thank you for the considerable efforts you have invested into this scrutinising survey of the claims for health effects from DU exposure.

Regarding the reference [3] I can add some pertinent information.

Anna Heimers, second author of [3], has published several papers on chromosome aberrations associated with occupational radiation exposures, including air crew. There too she reports "statistically significant increases". These papers have been criticized by other expert investigators which did not find such statistically significant increases in their studies of similar occupational exposure settings. Their criticism addresses the unusually low incidences of aberrations reported by A. Heimers for her control populations. Whereas most other investigators report a "background" value of approx. 1*10^-4 aberrant cells (dicentrics) for their control populations, those reported by A. Heimers are often significantly lower. This of course is apt to yield statistically significant increases due to too low a reference value. You might wish to check whether [3] reports control values significantly less than 1*10^-4 dics.

In addition, please note that the abstract of [3] (which is all I could read) expressis verbis invokes radiation as the putative cause. This would imply gigantic values for the relative biological effectiveness given the miniscule doses which can be assigned to this exposure and the consensus that health effects from DU - if there are any - must stem from uranium's or its compounds' chemical toxicity.

Thank you once more for your meritorious compilation and comments.

Best regards, Rainer