[ RadSafe ] FW: [NukeNet] Navajo Nation's Ongoing Battle vs. Uranium Mining

BLHamrick at aol.com BLHamrick at aol.com
Mon Mar 6 20:03:27 CST 2006

Steve, Norm, et al:

I took a look at the "Coalition for Peace and Justice" site.  They  state
they are a regional chapter of "Peace Action."  And, just by the way,  the
"Coalition for Peace and Justice" site I visited was developed by Natalie  Cohen for
Norm Cohen, so I presume this is (one of?) Norm's web-sites.  It  can be
viewed at:  _http://hometown.aol.com/norkarnatam/cpj.html_
(http://hometown.aol.com/norkarnatam/cpj.html) .

I also visited the site for "Peace Action"
(_http://www.peace-action.org/abt/abtpa.html_ (http://www.peace-action.org/abt/abtpa.html) ).

They clearly state, "Because of our effective work to change policies  at a
congressional level, contributions to Peace Action are not  tax-deductible,"
thus whether or not any portion of their organization is a  501(c)(3), they are
not claiming tax-exempt status with respect to their  anti-nuclear lobbying
activities, so their financing would not be subject to the  same public
disclosure as a 501(c)(3) organization.

Interestingly though, the primary message at "Peace Action" was  anti-war.  I
find it rather pathetic that this nation still equates the use  of
radioactive materials and the development of nuclear power options with  "nuclear war,"
as it seems these orgainzations do, since they tend to generally  oppose all
use of radioactive material or nuclear power, irrespective of the  fact that it
is not defense (offense) related.  It is rather like opposing  all genetic
research because it might be used in biological warfare.  I  suppose this is, in
part, a reflection of the very poor science and math  education we provide
here in the U.S.

I would like to take this opportunity to once again advocate that those
health physics professionals working for government agencies encourage those
agencies to provide rebuttals to the gross disinformation often provided in the
major media outlets, and to continue to work with our elected officials to
assist them to develop truly informed positions regarding the use of radioactive
materials and nuclear power.

Barbara L. Hamrick, CHP, JD

In a message dated 3/6/2006 9:46:07 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,