[ RadSafe ] Fractionation of Uranium Isotopes in Nature

John R Johnson idias at interchange.ubc.ca
Sat Mar 11 09:53:48 CST 2006

John Andrews

I'm not an expert in environmental chemistry, but I've been told by experts
that the reason 234U is higher than U238 in ground water is that the decay
of U238 "dislodges" the atom from its crystalline structure. After it decays
through 234Th (halflife=24.1 days) and 234Pa (halflife=6.75 hours) to 234U,
it is more "available" to the ground water than it was as 238U.

John Johnson