[ RadSafe ] Mistake on the UMRC web site

Stewart Farber farbersa at optonline.net
Sun Mar 12 11:01:00 CST 2006

Hi all,
As an aside to Roger Helbig's raising the issue of accurately calculating the dose delivered from some assumed particle of uranium, I must point out what is clearly an even more fundamental misstatement in the UMRC comment about their calculation of the dose delivered and its significance vs. regulatory limits.

A quote as reproduced by Roger Helbig from the UMRC is copied below. Even if the dose they calculate to some minute volume of tissue is 170 rem/year, it is totally meaningless to compare this to CFR limits specified for whole body exposure. As they write:

"In the US, the Code of Federal Regulations regarding energy specifies an  annual limit of 0.17 rem/year and a specific limit of 0.5 rem/year for an individual in the general  population."

My point is that exposure from any source would properly be converted to the Whole Body Dose Equivalent [WBDE] for which any dose to a minute volume of tissue would yield a minute WBDE nowhere near limits of concern for indiviudals or the general public.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health

 to individuals or the general public which they state as being