AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: [ RadSafe ] Fears promoted by anti-nuclear Greens

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 20 09:42:14 CST 2006

Rainer,
Yes, I knew you were referring to a different paper by
Brenner.

The issue of how the media reports science stories is
not a new one.  When my daughter and son were majoring
in journalism, they were required to take a basic
science course, like biology.  The inherent problem is
the reporters are no more knowledgeable about science
than other members of the public.  Consequently, when
a "news" story is developed, I doubt if many reports
have any idea about the science or the uncertainties
that goes into the data and its analysis.  Consider
the questioning of "global warming," despite the fact
that the majority of science who actually do the
studies think it is a real phenomenon.

--- Rainer.Facius at dlr.de wrote:

> John:
>

> Thank you for the pointer to your HPS "Ask the
> Experts" statement on question #4173.
>
> Congratulations for the excellently balanced advice
> you were able to formulate!
>
> BTW: I did not relate to the Brenner (2001) paper
> which deals with childhood risk but to the
> Berrington de Gonzales LANZET (2004) paper which
> addresses adult risks. I hold that we should
> distinguish these situations as we should keep in
> mind that CT exposures may be different from truly
> chronic irradation.
>
> Of course your remarks pertain to both studies, but
> - once more - the media apparently are not
> interested in bothering their consumers with such
> 'minor' qualifications.
>
> That would devalue the worth of one of their best
> selling merchandise - ANGST.
>
> Kind regards, Rainer

=== message truncated ===

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com