[ RadSafe ] Convolution, etc.

Dale Boyce daleboyce at charter.net
Tue Mar 21 03:21:37 CST 2006

See "Radiation Detection and Measurement" Second Edition by Glenn Knoll page
672

V. Computerized Spectrum Analysis
    A. Deconvolution or Unfolding...

The terms are used interchangeably, and technically are correct, although it
can be confusing.  For instance when you convolve two Poisson distributions
you wind up with another Poisson. Each point in one distribution is the
amplitude of of an admixture of the other distribution centered at that
point.

Clear as mud, probably.  In gamma spectroscopy the peaks are not convolved
in the same sense, but the admixture of different gamma lines result in a
distribution of pulse heights while not a convolution of  intrinsic line
widths it is a convolution of the system response.

In neutron spectroscopy, especially in sorting out something like Bonner
sphere data it is somewhat more closely analagous to the convolution of
intrinsic response.

I'm sure that I haven't gone into enough detail to clear anything up for
people.  I'd recommend looking at Knoll's book. If anyone is interested, I
can give some more detailed description of the convolution of functions.  A
good example is the calculation of the activity of the daughter of a
radioactive product of an irradiation.  One can either directly solve the
differential equation, or one can convolve the ingrowth of the daughter with
the ingrowth of the parent.

This last example is probably a good example of why it is appropriate to use
the terms deconvolution and unfolding.  If you were to take measurements of
EOB activity of a daughter of a direct product of an irradiation as a
function of length of irradiation, you would mathematically solve for the
amplitudes of the various exponential terms by linear or non-linear least
squares. The same technique you would use for gamma or neutron spectroscopy.

Dale

Dale E. Boyce
daleboyce at charter.net