[ RadSafe ] Acoustic neuromas and cellular phones: Is there a link?

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 22 08:48:03 CST 2006

Bjorn,
I agree.  If their goal was to determine the number of
small tumors, they are improving.  However, if the
goal was to link the tumors or cell phones, that is a
different issue. They need to determine the number of
occult tumors there were before 1997.  By prevalent
cases, I assume they mean tumors that were revealed
based on the detection limits at the time.  What they
are doing is inflating their database/population size.

--- Bjorn Cedervall <bcradsafers at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Source: P.D. Nelson et al., Neurology, Jan 2006.
>
> Message: Improved/increased capacity to
> register/diagnose small small tumors
> (thanks to CT and MRI) resulted in the doubling of
> cases. A peak seems to
> have been reached around 1997. The authors write:
> "After 1997, the fall in
> registration may represent exhaustion of the pool of
> prevalent cases that
> had accumulated, but had remained undiagnosed, in
> earlier years because of
> the absence or scarcity of diagnostic imaging."
>
> In other words, it seems like some scientists have
> been testing the wrong
> hypothesis.
>
> My personal action only,
>
> Bjorn Cedervall    bcradsafers at hotmail.com

"Those who corrupt the public mind are just as evil as those who steal from the public purse."
Adlai Stevenson

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist