[ RadSafe ] Kansas to let nuclear plant guards "shoot to kill"

Jim Darrough James.Darrough at oregonstate.edu
Thu Mar 23 15:42:23 CST 2006

Here is my two cents' worth.

There exist today plenty of non-lethal ways to subdue personnel as anyone
who ever watches the History or Discovery channel can attest. Nuclear Power
plants should be protected by up-to-date and rigorously trained security
personnel. This should include a budget which would allow the plant security
force to possess cutting edge weapons along with conventional arms. This
might preclude any lethalities unless absolutely necessary to prevent
serious injury or death to a plant employee, or seriously compromising the
plant itself.

Obviously, the media loves a circus and will create one if they can. In my
humble opinion, a suspect who has been wrapped up in spider webs and
completely incapacitated is going to be much easier to interrogate than one
who has suffered a 1/2" hole to the forehead. We all know that boys with big
toys like to use them (I have a few myself) but let's get technology to help
us. The new non-lethal weapons I have seen look like a lot of fun to play
with too, as long as you aren't on the receiving end.

Sincerely, Jim Darrough