[ RadSafe ] [Fwd: three questions on "Reproductive health of Gulf War veterans"]

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Tue Mar 28 20:43:05 CST 2006

March 28

         Today I read the Kang, H., et al. paper that Salsman invokes below.

         Concerning the incidence of birth defects it says:

         " . . . male Gulf veterans reported infants with likely birth
defect(s) at nearly twice the rate of controls (adjusted OR = 1.94; 95% CI
= 1.37-2.74).  . . .  Female Gulf veterans were almost three times more
likely to have a child with a likely birth defect than non-Gulf females,
after adjusting for other factors (adjusted OR = 2.97; 95% CI =
1.47-5.99)."  (p. 507)  (The controls were non-Gulf veterans, as noted on
p. 505.)

         This study was based on data gathered in a 16-page questionnaire,
that was re-sent to non-respondents at ten weeks, and again at six
months.  Further followup on non-respondents was conducted via
telephone.  "Veterans were asked to describe the birth defect, and to
indicate cause and date for infant deaths.   . . .   All analyses of
pregnancy outcomes were based on veteran self-reported outcome data and no
validation of these reported outcomes with medical records was made."  (p. 505)

         In their Discussion (p. 507-510), the authors describe some
additional analyses they conducted to try and filter out or account for
possible reporting bias.  They also state:  "A third limitation of the
study is that we were unable to evaluate specific defects, which may be
etiologically different.  Bcause of the dearth of documented information
regarding specific exposures of particular veterans and the lack of
knowledge on the human teratogenicity of most of the reported exposures, we
were unable to evaluate which exposures might be associated with which
outcomes."  (p. 509)

         In their Conclusions to their untitled abstract, the authors say,
"This observation [of birth defects associated with Gulf War service] needs
to be confirmed by a review of medical records to rule out possible
reporting bias."  (p. 504)

Steven Dapra
sjd at swcp.com