[ RadSafe ] Deconning Metal

John Andrews andrewsjp at chartertn.net
Tue Mar 28 22:36:23 CST 2006

Cehn at aol.com wrote:

>I'm looking for recommendations on deconning DU off of metal.  We're  looking
>at sponge-jet systems, sand blasting, CO2 blasting and water  blasting.  The
>latter has the advantage of less airborne material.   The metal is former DU
>munitions targets.  Thanks in advance.
>

>Joel I. Cehn, CHP
>joelc at alum.wpi.edu

I believe that the only effective means of removing DU from target
material will be by grinding or serious abbraiding.  I don't think that
most of the listed systems will be effective.  Sand blasting might be.
Good luck in your efforts.  Please report on your successes or non-... .

John Andrews, Knoxville, Tennessee